A Gluten-Free Baker’s Dozen
The number one question we get when people move to Singapore or start a gluten-free diet is Where do I find gluten-free bread? The choices have increased exponentially in the past five years and it can be hard to remember where to buy good certain brands and what ingredients they contain.
The 1°GF Team has searched island wide to find 13 gluten-free breads available in Singapore based on recommendations from the Singapore Celiac and Gluten Intolerance Support Group. We have listed each one along with location, price, size and ingredients.
Marks & Spencer Made Without Wheat – White Loaf
- Origin: UK
- Available on the shelf at Marks & Spencer stores
- $13.10, 429 grams (12 slices)
- Rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, maize flour, corn flour, water, sunflower oil, psyllium husk powder, yeast, golden syrup, free range egg white, humectant, glycerol, salt, E464 (stabiliser)
- Origin: Singapore
- Available fresh at Swiss Bake outlets, Cold Storage, Marketplace
- $7.95, 397 grams (unsliced)
- Maize starch, rice flour, soya protein concentrate, sugar, psyllium, E415, E464, salt, dextrose, sugar beet syrup, roasted lentil, yeast extract, E270, grape concentrate, E262, enzyme, vegetable oil, yeast (E491, E300)
Udi’s – Gluten-Free Soft & Delicious White Sandwich
- Origin: USA
- Available frozen at Eat Organic, Supernature, some Cold Storage stores
- $16.90 , 354 grams (14 slices)
- Water, tapioca, starch, brown rice flour, canola oil, potato starch, egg whites, dried cane syrup, tapioca maltodextrin, tapioca syrup, modified food starch, yeast, gum (xantham gum/sodium alginate, guar gum), salt, locust bean gum, cultured brown rice, and enzymes.
Genius Brown Loaf Bread
- Origin: UK
- Available frozen at Cold Storage, Marketplace
- $7.95 , 390 grams (14 slices)
- Water, maize starch, potato starch, tapioca starch, rapeseed oil, humectant: vegetable glycerol; milled brown flaxseed, psyllium husk powder, stabilisers: hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, xanthan gum; yeast, black treacle, free range dried Egg white, rice flour, dextrose, iodised salt: salt, potassium iodate; millet flakes, fermented maize starch, sugar beet fibre, rice bran, calcium carbonate , linseeds, dark muscovado sugar, niacin, iron, riboflavin, thiamin, folic acid.
Schär Ciabatta (Rustica)
- Origin: Germany, Italy
- Available vacuum packed through at German Market Place, Glee Pantry (online)
- $7.30 , 200 grams (4 rolls)
- Water, corn starch, leavening (rice flour, water) buckwheat flour 10%, rice flour, rice starch, sugar beet syrup, sunflower oil, soy protein, sugar, salt, yeast, thickener (E464) apple extract, acidity regulator (Tartaric acid, citric acid).
Notes: Vogel’s, Genius, Udi’s, Casino, and Schär are certified gluten-free. Tiann’s and The Whole Kitchen are produced in a dedicated gluten-free facilities.
Special thanks to Liz Navarro for trekking across the island in search for bread.
All bread was sourced and funded directly out of our own pockets. If you have a product you are interested in having reviewed please contact us at contact@OneDegreeGlutenFree.com. All breads on the list have been mentioned by our celiac support group members and are in no particular order.
The information in the article is accurate at the time it is written. No matter how carefully we make our recommendations, experiences will vary. You may come into contact with a less knowledgeable staff member, menus, ingredients or suppliers may change. Please keep in mind the potential for change and always ask questions and do you own research to ensure you have the best experience possible. If you find a significant change in anything we have recommended, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can keep our information as up to date as possible.
** Updated August 29, 2017 **